What is Amazon listing Hijacking?
Amazon listing hijacking is a type of online fraud where a third-party seller takes over an existing Amazon listing and starts selling their own products under the original listing. The hijacker uses various methods such as changing the product description, images, pricing, or even the product itself to make it look like their own.
This can cause several problems for the original seller, including lost sales, damage to their brand reputation, and even suspension of their account by Amazon. Customers may also receive fake or low-quality products, leading to negative reviews and a loss of trust in the original seller.
Listing hijacking can occur in different ways, including through hacking or exploiting security vulnerabilities, copying the original product’s barcode or ASIN, or using similar-sounding brand names or product titles to deceive customers.
What to do to prevent Listing Hijacking?
If you believe that your Amazon listing has been hijacked, there are several steps you can take:
- Contact Amazon: The first step is to contact Amazon’s support team and report the issue. You can do this by clicking on the “Contact Us” button on Amazon’s homepage or by calling Amazon Seller Support. Explain the situation and provide evidence that you are the rightful owner of the listing.
- Change your password: Change your Amazon account password and make sure it is a strong, unique password that is not used for any other accounts.
- Monitor your listing: Keep a close eye on your listing to see if any changes are made. If you notice any unauthorized changes, report them to Amazon immediately.
- File a hijacking report: If you have evidence that your listing has been hijacked, file a hijacking report with Amazon. You can do this through the “Report a Violation” page.
- Take legal action: If necessary, consider taking legal action against the hijacker. This may involve hiring a lawyer or filing a complaint with Amazon’s legal team.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure. To prevent hijacking, you can use Amazon’s Brand Registry program, register your brand with Amazon, and monitor your listings regularly.